Beyond Black and White:
Additive Colour Systems
We have organised an intensive Late Summer School on technical issues about historic colour techniques and the digital methods we have today to reproduce these. It will take place during one week, from 15 to 19 September 2014. It will be hosted by our company AV Preservation by reto.ch in Écublens (a suburb of Lausanne, Switzerland) and the course will be held mainly on our premises and at the nearby Swiss Federal Institute of Technology.
The aim of the Late Summer School is to provide an intensive one-week training course for film restorers from all over the world who have some experience. Instruction will be provided by various specialists in a pleasant learning environment. The Late Summer School will supplement professional instruction with social events and local sight-seeing excursions. We have worked out a detailed course programme that includes unbelievable lectures, unforgettable hands-on sessions, and spectacular demonstrations of both extinct analogue and nascent digital technologies. A full programme summary will be sent to all applicants upon acceptance into the Late Summer School.
There are 12 student positions available. The fee for the one-week course is CHF 2 500 and covers accommodation (six nights from 14 to 20 September 2014), course-related visits, most meals, personal protective equipment and all training. Travel costs to and from Switzerland are not covered. Closing date for receipt of applications is 30 June 2014.
You are invited to submit an application on behalf of yourself or members of your staff. If there are more applicants than places available, then a selection will be made; if there are fewer applicants than places available, then we will seek qualified participants from a wider field.
- Just Chemistry
- Hands-on #1: Manufacturing of Orthochromatic Gelatine Emulsion
- Hands-on #2: Manufacturing of Panchromatic Gelatine Emulsion
- Opening Night Reception
- Hands-on #3: Manufacturing of Cinécolor
- Hands-on #4: Manufacturing of Kodacolor Lenticular
- Hands-on #5: Manufacturing of Dufaycolor
- Shooting onto the Manufactured Films
- Processing of the Exposed Films
- ACES for Restorers
- Programming Look-up Tables
- OpenEXR for Conservators and Restorers
- Visit of a Postproduction Company
- Digitising of Historic Films and New Produced Films
- DCP Encoding of Legacy Films
- Screening Night on Additive Colour Systems
- Ethical Issues on Digital Conservation and Restoration
- Open Forum
- Boat Trip on the Lake of Geneva and Closing Night Reception