Chemistry and Beyond:
Conservation and Restoration Treatments
We have organised an intensive Spring School on technical issues about historical and actual conservation and restoration treatments. It will take place from 15 to 19 May 2006. It will be hosted by our company reto.ch Ltd in Écublens (near Lausanne, Switzerland) and the course will be held mainly on our premises.
The aim of the Spring School is to provide an intensive one-week training course for film restorers from all over the world who have some experience. Instruction will be provided by various specialists in a pleasant learning environment. The Spring School will supplement professional instruction with social events and local sight-seeing excursions. We have worked out a detailed course programme, including lectures, training sessions, demonstrations and course-related visits. A full programme summary will be sent to all applicants upon acceptance into the Spring School.
There are 12 student positions available. The fee for the one-week course is CHF 2 100 and covers accommodation (six nights from 14 to 20 May 2006), course-related visits, most meals and all training. Travel costs from and to Switzerland are not covered. Closing date for receipt of applications is 28 February 2006.
You are invited to submit an on-line application on behalf of yourself or members of your staff. If there are more applicants than places available, then a selection will be made; if there are fewer applicants than places available, then we will seek qualified participants from a wider field.
- Ethical Issues on Conservation and Restoration
- Chemistry Refresher
- Opening Night Reception
- History of Film Bases
- Workshop on Film Base Treatments
- Repairing and Cleaning Methods
- Visit of a Laboratory
- History of Photographic Emulsions
- Workshop on Photographic Emulsion Treatments
- Image Based Digital Restoration of Optical Soundtracks
- Demystify the Digital Black Box!
- Restoration Screening Night
- History of Magnetic Tapes
- Workshop on Magnetic Tape Treatments
- Improving Archival Duplication
- Visit of an Archive
- Preparation for Long Term Storage
- Methods of Documentation
- Open Forum
- Boat Trip on the Lake of Geneva and Closing Night Reception